To construct my maquette/structure I used 14 cans, I started off by gluing each can together with a glue gun. Using the glue gun was the best option in my opinion, it made the cans very sturdy. I used two cans for each section, I placed each pair of cans on top of each other to build my maquette/strcuture up.
The image on the far right, is showing what my structure looks like when its been glued together, you can see that in this particular image that the structure is similar to the work of Stephan Siebers which is who I got my inspiration from.
These images are showing the finished structure, the first image is just showing the shape and balance of the structure. The second image is from a first person view, this is what the structure will look like looking at it from the floor. I like how it looks stable and unstable at the same time, especially with the 2 cans balancing in the middle of the maquette, it forms the shape really well. Most importantly my maquette answers the brief in exploring the visual meaning of the word ‘structure’.
When I chose my final idea I had the idea of building a stand for my maquette/structure, I decided to take this forward and build a small platform. I found 2 different sized blocks of wood, they were the perfect shape to build my platform, so all I had to do was glue the pieces of wood together. I added a varnish cover to the pieces of wood to give a professional look.
This is what my final maquette/strcuture looks like. The final stage of completing the structure is too spray paint it silver. This will give it a realistic finish to my maquette/strcuture.
This is the last stage of completing my maquette/structure I sprayed it silver to reenforce the realistic finish I was looking to achieve.
Once I had finished constructing my maquette/structure, I started to focus on editing it in Photoshop, I wanted my structure to be a little brighter and more realistic, I decided to up the contrast of the maquette in Photoshop, I also improved the brightness, and darkened the shadows on the cans. I finally covered up any scratches and hot glue marks, this is so it looks proffesional when i super impose my maquette/structure.
Here is a close up screenshot of my maquette, this is showing a glue mark that needs editing. To get rid of the glue mark, I used the patch tool, this was very simple too use, all I had to do was select an area of the can and duplicate that pattern using the patch tool, it took a couple of attempts but I managed to blend the colour, and get rid of the glue mark as you can see on the image on the right. I also used the clone tool to edit small areas of the maquette such as dints and discoluorations, this was a little easier than using the patch tool.
Before – After –
This is the before and after screenshot of my edification on Photoshop. Changing the contrast and hue saturation gave my maquette/strcuture a different effect which made my design look better. By changing the colour of my maquette image has given the design a more resplendent look, which will look better when the maquette/structure is superimposed. I chose to use a similar model and unstable like shapes that Stephan Siebers used which is who I looked at in my research. The next stage is to superimpose my maquette image